We all know the expression “the grass is always greener on the other side”, but did you know that when it comes to lawn care, the grass is also healthier on the other side? Imagine communities where lawns have been replaced by patios and pavement; it would be like a concrete jungle. There would be less clean air to breathe, pollutants would run off into the water system and kids would come home with cuts and bruises after playing with their friends. The wonderful environmental benefits of healthy grass are not often talked about but we are going to outline them today.
Here is just a small sample of the many benefits healthy lawns bring to our communities:
1. Produce Oxygen: a 50 ft by 50 ft patch of grass produces enough oxygen for a family of four.
2. Reduce Carbon Dioxide: grass converts CO2 into oxygen and due this the estimated positive carbon foot print is 8 times better than the carbon foot print it takes to create healthy lawns.
3. Absorb Pollutants: when it rains on a bare or thin lawn the rain washes pollutants into the water table but healthy lawns absorb much of these pollutants before this can ever happen.
4. Reduce Injury to Children and Pets: studies show that the cushion provided by healthy turf leads to 40% less sports injuries than other playing surfaces.
5. Cool The Air: a 50 ft by 50 ft lawn cools the air at the same efficiency as 8 tons of air conditioning units.
To see even more reasons why you should feel good about getting your Dr. Green lawn care package watch this video which was produced by BASF :