One of the most rewarding chores a person can do is lay down fresh new sod because let’s face it…. it’s beautiful! Which is why it is important to keep good care of it during the first 2-3 weeks while the roots establish or all of your hard work may go to waste…. and who wants that!?
Here are a few helpful tips to care for your new investment
- Water, Water, and More Water!!
- It is absolutely critical to water your new sod everyday for between 30-40 minutes for about 2 weeks to establish a good strong root system.
- Soil and Seed
- It may seem redundant to put down soil and seed but a little goes a long way! By putting a small amount along all of the edges of the sod you will help bind the rolls together so you minimize any unseemly gaps when the sod dries.
- Try to minimize foot traffic in the area until the roots have fully taken (2-3 weeks) as you don’t want to compact the soil or you may get lumps!
- For the same reason you can take a break from cutting the lawn until the roots have established themselves.
With these quick tips you will be able to give your sod that little TLC it needs to thrive! So if you’re going to invest the time, energy and money into laying it down, be sure to extend that effort until it can survive on its own!